Saturday 22 December 2007

If only I were a cat...

I am finding myself becoming increasingly jealous of my cats. They get to sleep and eat whenever they like, and they can curl up in pretty much any position and be comfy. They don't have to work. They don't have to buy clothes or worry about transportation or any of the other mundane things that are part of human life. They've really got it pretty easy, as they're house cats. They may think they want to wander in the great outdoors, but we're so close to some busy roads that they'd be very unhappy if we were to lock them outdoors. The one time Hex ran out the front door without me noticing, he immediately regretted his brave escape. I heard this rather pathetic howling coming from the front of the house, and when I ran into the hallway, I saw that Hex had jumped up, dug his claws into the wood trim below the window on the front door, and was peering through the window, plaintively pleading for someone to let him in. I ran to the front door, opened it, and he hung on for dear life until the door was completely open. He then launched himself into the house, trying to escape the scary, noisy, busy outdoors.

Of course, later that same day, his brother tried to make a break for the front door. And the very next day, Hex decided he was curious about the great outdoors again and tried to sneak past me...through the front door. Either they are very forgetful or they think that the world outside our house changes very, very quickly.

They are currently cuddled together on the sofa, paws wrapped around each other, looking exceedingly cute. I really would like to come back as a house cat (in a good, loving home, of course) in my next life.

1 comments:

Stef said...

I've often thought that about my dog. He's got it made - he sleeps 97% of the day. It must be awesome to be a dog!